Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Art of the People

This morning I go to the Russian Museum.
Apparently this is not a common stop in St. Petersburg - either for Russians or foreigners.
Unlike every other place we've been, there are no queues to get in. It is Sunday morning and drizzling. ''Is everybody in Church?'" I ask Julia. No, no one goes to church, she says. I find this remarkable given that we have spent 8 days visiting churches. In any event, it is a welcome relief not to be pushing through hoardes of impatient, sweaty tourists led by guides  jabbing the air with small umbrellas or Viking Cruise Lines paddles as everyone elbows their way into one after the other 'must see' destination.

The Russian Museum is about as much as a 'must see' as I can imagine. After all, I can see Monet in the Art Institute.   After a visit to a smaller museum in Moscow and getting a taste of Russian art, I am now eager to see more Serov, Shishkin, Konstanin and a few others whose names I can neither spell nor pronounce.

The museum is the former residence of Grand Duke Michael, the brother of one of the Nicholas Csars. It is GARGANTUAN.  (Í've clearly run out of adjectives to describe the size, beauty and opulence of these places).  Gallery after gallery of stunning pieces.  We are about to head back to the hotel and Julia says...do you want to see the art of the people?  I'm thinking she means Soviet people? What people? I've learned it is wise to say yes to whatever suggestion the guide makes - the best stuff is not on our printed itinerary. Yes, I do. We scurry up another flight of stairs around two corridors and past three guards to the Árt of the People.

What you see here is the work of unschooled, simple peasants and villagers.  Craftsmen and women who learned at the knees of their grandparents how to sew, chisel, sculpt, knit, bead, embroider and paint.  The collection reflects the stories and traditions of people who observe custom and ritual; who recognize fellow kinsman by the color of  thread and design of an emblem.  As Julia said, I admire this art more than the great painters. These people were not educated. They didn't go to school to learn how to paint.  Amen.

Forgive the photographic quality of these next pictures...I couldn't figure out how to turn off the camera flash so had to rely on my iPhone. Steve Jobs is good, but no match for the Nikon.

All of these items were created in the 1700 and 1800s.

 





 Sidesways view of horse carving



  

1 comment:

  1. Aleen, beautiful photos, and I can see you are enjoying yourself...having fun is a lost 'art' in itself. Glad to see you are expressing yours again here. :-)

    ReplyDelete