Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Tragedy of the People

That is what the sculpture is titled ~ a bronze collection of naked images collapsing into gravestones with the faint image of a flame across a small courtyard bordering one side and a grosteque pile of things tossed from grownups' suitcases and the clutches of children's hands on the other.

You can feel the terror and sense the doom ~ I have never experienced such a visceral reaction to any piece of art. Not The David or Rodin yanked the tears from me as did this sculpture. Perhaps I was vulnerable after visiting the Star of David building - just steps away in Victory Park.(Another post ~ this one deserves its own) Our guide told us she had a surprise for us. And I have one for you....

 This is one view - these images extend about 100 or so yards - it is massive.

 The bodies get smaller and then turn into tombstones. I am laying down between two of the smaller "bodies" as the end of the row. See the tombstones starting behind me.

 The image of a mother covering her child's eyes from the image of the crematorium.

 The sculptor has a pile of discarded shoes, purses, dolls, eyeglasses etc., This part of the sculpture is behind the row of human images.

 Hard to see, but the dark mass to the right resembles a flame.

 Larger view of the 'stuff'.

 I couldn't stop crying.....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment